Monday, May 21, 2012

Week 5 Weekly Reflection


                The grand tour allowed me to view parts of the cemetery that I have yet to explore. Until now, the only places that I have seen were the historical areas. It was interesting to see how the layout of the cemetery, the style of the monuments, and landscaping has changed over time.
                I believe part of the change has to do with technology. Developments in cross-pollination allow for different species of plants and flowers to exist. Through research, we have been able to get these plants to thrive in areas in which they previously would not have survived. Laser-cutting and developments in different ways of stone work allow more intricate work for monuments.
                The difference in societal attitudes and the evidence of changing culture was apparent. As we got to the modern parts of the cemetery, I notice fewer large monuments. I didn’t notice any mausoleums. The main thing I noticed is that many of the headstones were flush against the ground, and they were arranged in the linear manner that I find customary. In the older areas, quite a few family plots are arranged like spokes on a wheel – A monument in the middle, and generations of the family radiating from it. Everything seemed more tasteful, modern, and simplistic, as opposed to the ostentatious monstrosities that were popular in the mid-nineteenth century. Then there was the cremation area, which shows how popular this method of burial has become.
                Most of the evidence I found of societal diversity was also found in the monuments. The names changed from traditional German, English, and Celtic cultures, to representing all cultures, including oriental. The styles of the monuments changed as well, showing Asian and Islamic influences.
                It was very interesting to see how the cemetery has changed over time. I imagine that it will continue to change as the years go by. I saw on the news about a week ago how they have started to integrate QR codes onto headstones that could be scanned by a smartphone and a page will appear with information about the person’s life. I’m curious to know how technology and society will change the appearance of Spring Grove.

1 comment:

  1. Perhaps an embedded holograph can pop up and greet the visitor..

    ReplyDelete