Monday, June 11, 2012

Weekly Reflection


I have always admired mausoleums. They are incredible structures, and look stunning, from the outside. After going in the Dexter, Gerard, and Fleischmann mausoleums, I have determined that I never want to be buried in one. 

We began our excursion at the Norman Chapel. The chapel was breathtaking. Something seems odd to me about being married in a cemetery, but given the beauty of the chapel, I would consider it. If I get married, that is.  

The Gerard one was the nicest of the three mausoleums we visited. The stained glass, statues, and flowers gave it a church-like quality. But despite the beauty of the individual elements, I could not help but feel claustrophobic. Maybe it was having the whole class in there at once, the space the statues and flowers took up, or the darkness. Plus, actually seeing the above-ground caskets kind of gave me the heebie-geebies.

The Fleischmann mausoleum was right down the middle for me. Again, the flowers and stained glass were nice. It was slightly larger, but still felt cramped, dark, and dank.  The statue seemed to look at me wherever I went.

The Dexter mausoleum is by far the most impressive from the exterior. The deterioration on the outside should have indicated how the interior would appear. I felt like I was visiting the home of Angel from Buffy the Vampire Slayer, about 100 years after he moved out.  I could envision what the plan was, and the architecture was incredible, but I felt like I was starring in a horror movie.  I wish they had been able to finish the chapel portion, because maybe that would have brought about a new feel to the place. Not to mention, it would have been amazing to see.



I was so excited about going in to these mausoleums, and I am glad that I got to. It was certainly a great photo opportunity!  And I’m sure I would go back in, if given the chance. But I doubt I would go at night, and certainly not alone.

So when I die, I do not want to be put in one. No, I’m beginning to think cremation is the way to go. 

 

1 comment:

  1. It was a great photo opportunity! And amazing to see the variations of style, age, wear and upkeep. The Fleischmann has those interesting inscriptions, and the Garrad has the beautiful statues but nothing compares to the creepiness of the Dexter!

    ReplyDelete