Monday, April 23, 2012

Personal Reflection


            Not being from around here, (I grew up in North Carolina), Spring Grove is a fairly new experience for me. I have been there once before, but did not take the time to fully explore what it was all about. The first class showed me how little I really know. Even within the area that I explored with my partner, there was so much I didn’t know. Luckily, my partner was knowledgeable and was able to point things out to me that I may have otherwise missed.
            Many of the people in our section contributed greatly to our city. Those whose names I recognized, such as Hughes and McAlpin, were fairly easy to decipher. Others, such as West, who founded the art museum, I would have had no idea who he was if it were not inscribed on the monument.
            I do have a love for local history and facts, I simply do not know enough about Cincinnati yet. I don’t know if they do it here, but in North Carolina, around the 3rd or 4th grade, we had a whole unit about local history.  If the same applies here, I missed it.  So I am left to discover it for myself. I have done the “Ride the Ducks” and “Cincinnati Underground” tours, which are both extremely fun and interesting. I really want to do the “Queen City is Haunted” tour.
            Hopefully, through this course, I will gain greater knowledge into the history of this city. I want to fully immerse myself in the culture of Cincinnati. I feel that the city has a lot to offer, and I can’t wait to discover what it is.

1 comment:

  1. Spring Grove is rather a Who's Who of Cincinnati or rather a Who Was. You will recognize street names, towns and suburbs, as well as manufacturers. A great way to learn some history.

    ReplyDelete